October 8, 2018
Tuesday: today first started off with some
service! We went and worked in a soup kitchen for a couple hours! It was
actually really cool but very sad :( we just served homeless people food and
you could just tell they lived meal to meal and didn't have much. In fact
through out the day you would see them on the streets and they had nothing.. It
really humbled me and makes me appreciate the life I'm living and the things I
have! After service we went and tracted for a minute then we started this new
thing in our zone called power hour!! So everyone is out tracting or doing
service off the bingo card from 3-4 and so we went and put uplifting sticky
notes on people's car! Then we went and had a lesson with our recent convert
Katie, oh man that situation is rough. Katie has spina bifida and then she got
married to russell and he was abused as a kid and now had seizures and acts
like a 12 year old and they had a baby togetger about 6 months ago and neither
of them are capable of taking properly care of that baby and there house is a
wreck.. there is no where to sit. So sad. After that we went and had dinner
with a member at a Chinese restaurant that sister ussery and it was disgusting
it made me sick haha! But I survived (; then it was down pouring and the lightning
and thunder was crazy and sister ussery wanted to go home but I said nope we
gotta get to work!! So we went and tracted in the down pouring rain (it's
actually my favorite because people think we are crazy) and we talked to some
nice people! And actuslly found 2 new people to teach!!! One of them is pretty
solid (I think anyway) so that was our Day! Perrrrtttyyyy good!
Wednesday: today was such a great day!!! Ahhh
missionary work is the best!! So today we just started off wiyh doing studies
and then we weekly planned and it took forver since we are teaching so many
great people! Not complaining ;) and then we took off and went and stopped by a
less active then decided yo tract around her area well the first door we
knocked on we were there for 30 minutes and he was just tryin to argue with us/
ask questions. It's so annoying when people try to tell us we don't know
anything! I'm like you just wait until after this life and you'll come up to me
and say "wow you were right, you had the truth!!" Then we broke our
fast and ate some dinner then we had an appointment with Diane! We decided to
teach her the Word of Wisdom and we knew she loves her coffee and so we were a
little nervous! But we get in there and we are start telling her what it is and
she says "nope he's not takin away my coffee!!" And we told her the
blessings that come from it And she said "but I'm not ready for baptism,
god just keeps tellin me to read the book of mormon." And I looked at her
and said I know exactly why he is telling you thay, because there are answers
in there. And so I opened up to 2 Nephi 31 and i had her read a few verses and
it talks about how we need to be baptized. She said "okay I'm ready to
give up coffee" and so we set a date with her for October 27th and drew
out a calendar of how she can give up coffee and be prepared by then and she
accepted!! She said I was thinking more of December but I will be done with
coffee by the 19th. The lesson was so amazing and such a miracle she accepted
to be baptized. The sisters kept trying to get her to committ and she just
wouldn't but she finally did! Miracles of fasting.. we were fasting as a zone
to get 4 baptisms this month!! But I seriously have not felt so much power and
authority my mission then I did last night as I was teaching. It was so cool!
After the lesson we went and tracted! Had no success but I make sure we stay
out till 9 o'clock whether it's pitch black or not! Haha anyway great
Day!
Thursday: today was a pretty good Day! We had
MLC which is where the mission leaders come togetger. And it was super good! It
went pretty much all day! Well from 10:00-3:30, but we are changing the culture
of this mission! Becayse we were averaging 43 baptisms a month and in the month
of September we only had 15.. So we focused on 3 main things we need to change
to further the lords work. 1st is being preach my gospel focused missionaries,
2nd getting rid of any distractions, and 3rd having redefined and dignified
language. I'm super excited to see the change that comes as we put the Lord
first in all that we do! After that we went to dinner at Connies. Her dad made
us some yummy food! And we shared a message with them and her dad admitted that
he is stuck between 2 different churches. Unfortunately he has a Mr. Sooo
that's a problem! After dinner we went to a members house and cleaned for her!
Man I just appreciate the way you've raised me mom and the cleanliness of our
home!! But that was pretty much our Day! Love you!
Friday: wow I feel like we've been so busy
this week and it's gone pretty fast! Today We had DLC which is where the sister
training leaders and zone leaders get together with the district leaders and
train them on everyhting we learned at MLC! Then they take it to their
districts. It's so crazy because both the district leaders have been out over
20 months and they just sit there and listen to a youngen who has only been out
4 months, it's funny to me😂 after that we had district council and it went
pretty good! Our district leader is something else! We went to Uconn and had a
lesson with our Chinese friend Allen, those lessons wear me out haha! We have
to teach very simply buy over and over for him to understand.. but slowly and
surely he is understanding! And he wants to be baptized! Then we had a lesson
with Eric and greg! Went good.. I guess.. Idk sister ussery and I don't teach
that well together.. I feel like we have no powerful lessons together.. but I'm
trying.. I just feel like I'm trying to hard to love her and get along with her
but whatever I do isn't good enough.. pray I get through the next 4 1/2 weeks..
sorry no complaining.. but after our lessons we went and helped Katie and
Russell move into their new place and man they have so much junk. But ya it was
a pretty good day just feelin kinda bummed out tonight.. Idk why. Maybe I'm
just not a good companion, who knows what I'm doing wrong... love you guys and
miss you..
Saturday: 4 months down!!!! Can you believe
that?! And you haven't even missed me yet(; anyway today was general conference
and it was so good!!! G.C. on the mission really is Christmas!! I've never
gotten so much out of it before! I hope you guys had a chance to watch it! Can
you believe we are going down to 2 hour church? So crazy!! It'll be good
though, especially for our friends! I don't have much time but I wanted to say
my favorite talks from all 3 sessions!
-morning session: elder rasband! He did so
good, talking about fear and it answered a lot of questions for me!
-afternoon session: elder saores! Everyone
needed to hear How to help our friends when we bring them to church!
-general women's session: I loved the talk by
Michelle Lynn Craig, lately I've really been wondering about my self worth and
how I need to understand any thoughts putting me down are of Satan. The general
women's session was incredible! I've never reslly watched it before but it was
so good!
I hope you all enjoyed it as well! I love you
guys 💗
Sunday: what another great, uplifting,
spiritual draining day!! I don't have much time tonight but wow wasn't general
conference the best?! So much about not procrasting repentance and relying on
the savior during tough times! As always, elder holland killed it!! I hope you
guys enjoyed it and had a great day! Can't wait to talk tomorrow! Love you so
so much!!
October 8, 2018
Hello everyone!! What a great, uplifting,
spiritual draining week!! I feel like we've been so busy this week and it just
flew bye!! (When does it Not?!)
We had a lot of great experiences this week!
We started this thing called "power hour bingo" (thanks to my bff sister
merrill) where our whole zone is out working and serving from 3-4! So we had
some fun with that this week! We were able to write out some uplifting sticky
notes and put them on random cars! I love being a missionary because we are
always striving to bring a smile to others faces and there is nothing better
than that!
Okay so some pretty cool miracles of the
week:
-the other night It was down pouring and the
lightning and thunder was so bad!! But we weren't gonna let that stop
us! We ran into a really nice guy named Rayman, he told us how this world was
crazy and we told him that this gospel can bring so much peace into his life!
We left him with a pamphlet to read and as soon as we started to walk away He
opened it and started reading it, I then felt impressed to go back and give him
a BOM, and we were then able to set up another time to meet with him! He's such
a nice guy!
-We had an appointment with our friend
Diane this week! We couldn't decide what to teach her but prayed about
and felt very strongly that we needed to teach her the Word of Wisdom, but we
also knew that she loved her coffee and so we were a little nervous! But we get
in there and we are start telling her what it is and she says "nope he's
not taking away my coffee!!" And we told her the blessings that come from
it And she said "but I'm not ready for baptism, god just keeps telling me
to read the book of Mormon." And I looked at her and said I know exactly
why he is telling you that, because there are answers in there. And so we opened
up to 2 Nephi 31 and had her read a few verses and it talks about how we need
to be baptized. She said "okay I'm ready to give up coffee" and so we
set a date with her for October 27th and drew out a calendar of how she can
give up coffee and be prepared by then and she accepted!! She said "I was
thinking more of December but I will be done with coffee by October 19th, so I
can be baptized on the 27th." The lesson was so amazing, I have
never felt so much power and authority on my mission then I did that night
as we were teaching. It was so cool! Such a miracle she accepted to
be baptized. What's even cooler is this day we fasted as a zone to have 4
baptisms this month and this is such a great example of Miracles that come from
fasting..!
-Our Chinese friend Allen came to the church
to watch general conference and he loved it!! He told us he loved this church
and it was beautiful! We are going to set a date with him this week, so that's
pretty exciting!
Well that's all I have time for today! But I
hope you all had a chance to watch general conference! As I was watching, it
made me realize how much Heavenly Father loves us. That he has not abandoned us
and never will. It was amazing!! I loved the talk by Elder Rasband as he talked
about how fears are normal but with the help of the Savior we can overcome
anything! This is very true. I know that our Savior is mindful of us. That he
cares for us and that he is there for us. We are never alone and we don't ever
have to be because of the love our Savior has for us.
This week I challenge each of you to really
focus on something you fear, rely on the Savior, and turn it into a strength!!
I love this gospel, I love this work, and there is nothing better than serving
the man who gave it all for us.
As always.... keep on keepin on!!
Xoxo<3
Sista Smoot
No comments:
Post a Comment